Yeah, you read that title right. Twenty-six tubes of blood. In one day - 25 of them in one sitting. The only reason it wasn't 26 the first time is because the lab tech didn't see the 26th bottle sitting there, waiting to be filled - thus, I had to go back later for that one. What a start to a day!
While I impatiently wait for my cycle to start (only 2 more days of taking the Provera, which is supposed to jump start it), I figured I would get some of the needed blood work done. So, this morning I was up bright and early and waiting outside the lab at 6:40 a.m. - with about 20 other people. Have you ever seen a lab that busy at that time of morning? Welcome to a retirement community in Arizona! Most of the people waiting were fasting and I'm sure were looking to get their tests out of the way first thing...what they didn't anticipate was a 28-year-old trying to get pregnant tying things up as they waited. I must admit I felt a little awkward sitting there waiting with all the people who could have been my grandparents, especially since I had 3 lab slips and a box and most of them only had one, lol. Oh well.
Have I ever mentioned that I really don't like needles? Yeah, I pretty much hate them. Thankfully the tech was nice, and advancements in the phlebotomy world made it so I didn't have to get poked more than once for the first 25 tubes. I don't think I'll ever get used to having my blood drawn, but by the time all of this is over and done with, I'm sure I will be at least a little more "numb" to it, lol!
Anyways, I'm glad I got the majority of the blood work out of the way. When I go in for my Day 3 ultrasound I will have to have more blood drawn, and I have no idea how many tubes that will be. I'm sure there will probably be more in the future too. At least I know it's all for a good cause ;).
Anyhow, moving on from the insane amount of blood I had taken today, can I just say that I was soooo wrong about the Provera suppressing my appetite?! Sure, for the first 2 or 3 days eating anything sweet made my stomach hurt, and I didn't feel like eating very much overall. But after that, oh yeah, watch out! I've been ravenous!! It seems to be tapering off a little now, thank goodness. Other than food aversions/affections, I didn't think I was having any side effects from taking the Provera...wrong! So it generally takes A LOT to upset me and I'm a pretty optimistic person, but I have had a few days where I have been soooooo moody I hardly even recognize myself! Thankfully Jeremy has been spared any of the moodiness (at least I think he has, lol)...but my poor dogs, they are another story. Our puppy in particular - Lily - has been driving me absolutely crazy. It doesn't help that we've had a horribly hard time training her. Hopefully that will soon end though - tonight I enrolled her in a 6 week obedience class at Petsmart :), and we start Nov. 2. I can hardly wait. In the meantime, I'm glad I won't be on the Provera long enough to have Lily drive me nuts more than normal.
For now though, I keep taking my medicine and waiting for my cycle to start...I hope I'm lucky and it will start sooner rather than later, because patience is definitely NOT one of my virtues, and honestly, I really don't feel like developing it at the moment, lol.
One more thing before I close. I just want to thank all of you for your support. You have no idea how much it means to me to know that there are so many people rooting for our success. Infertility testing/treatments are definitely trying to say the least, and each and every one of you are helping me to handle it well. Thank you for being such good friends :).
Monday, October 24, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
i remember all the blood work i had to do for all those tests. and you do get "numb" to it eventually. i used to hate it and would get so nervous but now its a piece of cake. its all worth it in the end.
Love you sweetie! Hang in there and know that many prayers are being said for you all as you go through this new adventure! Love ya! MOM :)
Post a Comment